When reading chapter 2 the first time (many moons ago), I thought that the language Screwtape used to lecture Wormwood about what to do with his patient's recent decision to follow Christ carried not a sense of urgency, but rather a sense of smug confidence. Screwtape does have good reason to be confident of the wisdom he imparts to Wormwood: many new Christians come into the faith and follow Jesus for a time...and then for one reason or another fall away.
One major cause of this phenomenon is not so much the terrible vices which many believers in church communities regard as terrible sins (gluttony, alcoholism, smoking, drug abuse, sexual promiscuity, profanity, and so forth), but rather the more subtle sins involving such slip-ups as hubris (excessive pride), a lack of charity or giving without thought of gain, a lack of compassion, violent and perpetual anger at everything and everyone, and other such mistakes which almost all people make at one time or another in their lifespan. This is not to say that vices are not bad; all sins may be seen as equally bad, especially when we consider God's view of sin. What Wormwood is to do with his patient is to press forward with his temptations, since many would-be saints of the faith were brought to "our Father Below", Screwtape calls him, through relentless attacks over an entire lifespan which eventually caused their complete downfall.
I am certain that Screwtape does not believe the cause lost with Wormwood's patient. Indeed, the initial conversion is only the beginning of a very long struggle for our souls.
Considering much of the second half of the chapter, I almost chuckle at times at the little imperfections of the congregation in which the patient is situated. Small things to be upset about, really. Yet the chuckle is often rueful, since I'm often guilty of what Screwtape is encouraging Wormwood to tempt his patient with: the sort of pride which makes the Pharisee praying at the temple in the Gospels sniff and mutter, "Oh Lord, thank you that I am not like that tax collector over there". I'm serious; no getting off the hook on this one, as I have done so as recently as two Sundays ago. This part of the book is actually a very good gut-check: deny that oneself is looking down one's nose at the very imperfect individuals praying and singing hymns on either side, and any individual may be certain that he or she is walking in pride (I am ducking my head and raising my hand to say I'm guilty at this moment).
Perhaps I might take this a step further. What about looking down one's nose at the workplace? If this is considered, I am guilty every day. Perhaps even hour, if I am completely honest. The thought is quite discouraging, but I believe that Christ died for our sins, especially for the sins of prideful thought that truly do plague every man at some point.
No comments:
Post a Comment