Believe it or not, many folks come to a point where the road of life does not fork so much as turn into a free-way of a hundred or more exit ramps all branching off from the same highway. Now, I am sorta kinda past this point myself as I have tossed the dice on a career (teaching) and am preparing for my first few days of being a substitute teacher this month.
I do believe that many of my peers in the United States and also the rest of the world ages 25 to 34 are at something similar to the metaphor I have described above. The first career did not work out, the family business turns out not to be the dream that it seemed, an internship has just ended, work with an overseas mission agency is starting to wrap up, the harvest is over on the farm, or there just has to be something better out there than the current situation; whatever the case may be, I listen to the news and talk to friends in my age group and sense a general movement towards...
Towards what, exactly? A 50,000/year salary, a retirement/pension fund, a house to call home, a spouse and beginning family? Or to something else entirely, such as a life devoted to the faith, a life dedicated to serving others as a volunteer, a life doing something that you truly have a passion for rather than a life doing just enough to get by?
The book of Jeremiah offers some encouragement for any of you readers who are raising your hand and saying "Yes, that's me." In the 29th chapter at verse 11, God says through the prophet: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
I'm not exactly "saint" material, nor am I a very Biblically-educated Christian by any stretch of the imagination. Goodness, I only started seriously reading the Bible a month or so ago! I will not force anyone to conform with my beliefs using this blog or try to shove Christianity down a person's throat. I do want to allow readers to see some of the things which keep me going and draw from them if they will. If you object to anything I have written...well, you may always leave a comment under the post.
No comments:
Post a Comment