Friday, September 30, 2011

Relief Sale

I do not now, nor will I ever, shamelessly promote an event which I will be attending/serving at.  However, I did want to voice a thought or two about giving money or time to alleviate the suffering of others.

Now, when I say suffering, I don't mean wanting a few more dollars in a paycheck or wishing for the newest technological assistance.  I mean the tornado-or-hurricane-destroyed-my-house-and-business type of suffering.  The I-don't-know-where-my-next-meal-is suffering.  The please-give-me-medicine-or-I-will-die-in-one-hour-from-AIDS suffering.

I think this is why we do Mennonite relief sales in Virginia every year.  Not because we just want to catch up with folks that we haven't seen in ages (we can do that at Christmas too, by the way), or because we want real, home-made baked goods.  I think members of the Mennonite church truly believe that there are millions of people to whom we can be the living, breathing example of Jesus' hands and feet at work in the very messed up world we humans live in.

Feel free to post your thoughts or reactions if this slugs you in the gut or makes you pause for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment