Thursday, September 8, 2011

Grinding It Out

I find it rather strange that some folks would rather quit at something when the going gets tough rather than stick it out.

Perhaps I just grew up in such a different socio-cultural background and was given such a very different set of ideas about the need to work (even in a manufacturing job on the third shift) that I simply cannot comprehend the grumbling of some of my co-workers who want to leave because mandatory overtime has been increased by another eight hours this month.  I was quite elated when I heard this news as it will mean a boost in pay for myself.  So imagine my surprise and indignance at hearing about a man in his late 40s who has been working at the same place I have for the same amount of time I have saying that he "didn't sign up for so much overtime".

Here's where the rubber meets the road: work stinks.  Period.  I would not mind having a more enjoyable job myself, perhaps as a house painter or something like that.  Yet, every single person who needs to have food, clothes, and shelter must work to get them.  I know this, and every day this past summer that I did not have a job was like being subjected to the Chinese water torture in some ways; not enough to kill, but enough to drive me stark raving mad with frustration because of the realities of paying for the apartment, utilities, student loans, Discover card, and remaining tuition balance from my senior year.  My need for income is quite high, and so I do not mind sleeping at odd hours and driving a half-hour each way for $9.00 an hour.

Others with less need...I'm not sure.  I cannot fathom the reasons for wanting to leave jobs that will eventually pay as good as $17.00 an hour and more simply because second or third shift is not what someone wanted.  If anyone wishes to add thoughts or even criticize something in this post, please do so; good discussions are something that I cannot get enough of.

No comments:

Post a Comment